Prayer and Blessing of Charity


During the holidays last year my oldest Sister and Her Man left my mother's house early from the Christmas party because they were heading to downtown Atlanta to go stand at the capital and pass out food to the homeless that live in the city. This sparked a conversation between myself, my twin sister, my Auntie, and our niece and nephew. The statement was said that "it was the church's responsibility to take care of the poor and homeless. Before the government, it is the Churches responsibility. And I said something that I did not fully take into consideration the weight of what I said, "The issue was that the leaders of the church were not teaching that practice in the church." 

Matt. 5:3-12
"3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for their's is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness sake: for their's is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

This is the opening statement of the sermon on the mount. Jesus laid out clearly the blessing of the people that follow him. Those of a servant's heart, the humble. the lowly. The one who seeks mercy. The one who had charity in their hearts. God called for us to be the voice of humility and Charity to the world. Now, why did I stop my first paragraph on my reply to the issue that aroused during our family party was on purposed. Jesus told us that it is a good thing to be merciful, to be poor in spirit. To be meek, to be the kindness of this world. This was the first thing Jesus stated in his proclamation to the believers. We as a people, (Children of God) Must remember this always. The Mercy and Kindness that you have seen from God you are to share that with those around you. Our church is preparing to have services to address community issues and how we as the church can reach those around us. This is nothing new from what I have seen my church do these last Seven years. But the Charity (Love)  for others does not end with a church service for a holiday special. It is a daily prayer and walks we must fulfill as those who are redeemed by God.

God, your Nature is to offer mercy. When people know me, I want them to know you are living in me. Give me opportunities to demonstrate mercy to those around me. As my faith grows, please give me a deeper ability to offer mercy to others. 

Comments

Popular Posts